Scratches can easily turn to rust spots. Why wait for the problem to worsen when you can easily fix it yourself? Here’s a DIY on how to fix the paint scratch on your car here in Scottsdale, AZ.
Supplies you’ll need to fix the paint scratch on your car
- 180-grit sandpaper
- 1500-grit sandpaper
- Black-tinted paint primer
- Metal paint the same color as your car (or as close as you can find)
- Clear metal paint
Repair the scratch on your car step-by-step
- Much like getting rid of rust spots on your car, the steps you’ll take for fixing the paint scratches is very similar. First, you’ll need to sand the spot with 180-grit sandpaper.
- After that, you can get that metal paint primer. Your best bet is going to be following the instructions on the can, but you’ll probably need to use at least two coats of primer and wait for each to dry before continuing.
- Next up is the base coat of paint. Spray it, then sand it with the 1500-grit sandpaper between coats to smooth out the divots made from the coarser sandpaper. This is wet-sanding, so you don’t need to wait for coats to dry before sanding.
- Last is the clear coat, which seals everything. Let it dry for at least 8 hours, though again, it’s best to follow the instructions on the can.
- Technically, you’re done. It won’t rust now that you’ve painted everything. But if you want to help everything blend into the original paint better, wax and buff it.
Vehicle repairs in Scottsdale, AZ
Are you too busy to do this time-consuming repair? Take it to our dealership, Mercedes-Benz of Scottsdale! We are a Mercedes-Benz dealer near North Scottsdale. So, if you live in any of the surrounding areas like Mesa, Phoenix, or Chandler, come on over! We can take care of any scratches, dents or dings your car has. No matter if you have a luxury European brand like Mercedes-Benz or if your old vehicle just needs a bit more care, we are happy to help.
Don’t forget to check out new Mercedes-Benz vehicles while you are here! We have plenty of research pages for you to go through to see which model is right for you.